Free Transparent Polymer Clay recipe (Transparent handmade clay)
This is a recipe for transparent polymer clay which dries on its own in the air. It is great for sculpting berries and flowers. Also suitable for imitating glass jewelry. If you make jewelry, be sure to cover it with varnish, this will give water resistance and more transparency to the product.
The main components of a transparent polymer clay recipe are EVA or PVA (polyvinyl acetate) glue, preferably EVA (white stationery glue). Since EVA is plastic in itself, there is no plasticizer in it, and plasticizer is not a healthy component for our health, especially when heated. In addition, EVA glue is more transparent than PVA glue.
The most important thing in the glue is that the polymer clay has to be as transparent as possible – high quality.
It’s necessary to check that it is viscous (when a very thick drop dries, the drop dries without decreasing in size). It should be transparent as much as possible in a thick layer after drying and did not turn yellow eventually.
The second required component is konjac glucomannane. It is sold in diet pills, and in powder, here is a link on iHerb to buy glucomannane https://www.iherb.com/tr/cb?pcodes=NOW-06513qty1sid0&rcode=CCL6434
Glucomannane is a dietary fiber – resoluble cellulose. Which is very tightly compressed, when exposed to water, the fibers straighten and fill a large space.
In order for our polymer clay to be as transparent as possible:
Glucomannane should be as clean as possible.
We need to dissolve glucomannane in the glue properly.
Since glucomannane is a very good gelling agent, we will measure with coffee spoons for accuracy. If you put it more than it can dissolve, then there will remain undissolved white lumps, and the clay will not be transparent.
In order for glucomannane to dissolve good, to do not clump – which will make a bad effect on transparency. It is necessary to dissolve it in 2 coffee spoons of glycerin.
It is necessary to take glycerin of low viscosity.
Glucomannane is dissolves very good at the temperature of 75-80 degrees Celsius. Therefore, we will dissolve it by heating in the microwave.
Free Transparent Polymer Clay recipe
The preparation method of transparent polymer clay
1. We take a tray that can be put into the microwave oven, and which has a lid. We measure out 2 coffee spoons of glucomannane.
2. We add two coffee spoons of the most purified liquid glycerin. Mix it very well.
3. Then we add 2 tablespoons of glue, mix it good. Cover with a lid. Let stand for at least 8 hours, and preferably even longer up to 24 hours.
4. Mix it well, and add 3 more tablespoons of glue. Also mix very well.
5. cover it and let it stand for 30-40 minutes.
6. Mix it well and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds, set the power to 800 watts.
7. Take out and mix good. Again, put in the microwave for 15 seconds, remove and mix.
8. Again put in the microwave for 15 seconds, remove and mix, do it again.
9. After that we add 2 coffee spoons of well-refined petroleum jelly or johnson’s baby oil to the hot mixture.
ATTENTION! To increase transparency! + 1 teaspoon of glycerin, and 1 teaspoon of Vaseline oil. This will increase transparency BUT reduce moisture resistance!
10. Then we add finely grated whitened natural beeswax – 1 coffee spoon. Mix everything well. Here is a link to buy white beeswax:
We need wax to seal the clay, if this is not done, then the smallest air bubbles will remain between the fibers in the clay, which will have a negative effect on transparency.
11. Put in the microwave for 15 seconds. Take it out and mix, do the same three more times.
12. Then we get such a polymer clay. Leave it to cool under the lid.
13. We erase the condensate formed on the lid.
14. After cooling, knead well with hands and leave them under the lid for 12 hours. Also, once or twice we erase the condensate that forms on the lid.
15. In 12 hours, we remove our polymer clay into the Plastic Wrap Stretch Film. Wrap the Plastic Wrap Stretch Film in a package. We put the package into a jar with a lid, and let it stay there for another 12 hours. After that, you can safely proceed to sculpting.
During sculpting transparent, be sure to consider that the denser and smoother the surface and structure is, the more transparent the object.
These beautiful transparent berries of white currant, you can make from this polymer clay.
How to sculpt such berries is shown on our Polymer Clay Food page.
Be sure to leave comments on the post with the recipe for transparent polymer clay, we will be happy to answer them
Answers on questions | Transparent handmade clay
1. Which kind of a glue to choose and how to choose it?
I use this kind of glue: SITOL 5012/43. But not everyone has the opportunity to buy such glue. This is a very good one, it is quite transparent. But it seems to me that you can choose even better glue. Because it is transparent, but still has a slight polymer haze.
How to choose a glue. The most suitable is white stationery glue that is recommended by decoupage masters. This glue should be thick and doesn’t become yellow over time. You should read reviews for the glue you can easily buy. Make a test after purchasing, drip a very thick drop of glue and let it dry. See how transparent it is. If the drop will still be very clear even in a week, the glue will suit you perfectly.
2. Glucomannan, which one is better to take?
I compared glucomannan from iHerb with konjac gum which is sold as a food thickener in our market. Glucomannan from iHerb is definitely better, it is much cleaner and more transparent, I recommend to use it.
3. What are the features of transparent polymer clay modeling?
Recommendations for modeling from transparent polymer clay.
After molding and complete drying, all products must be covered with varnish, epoxy resin or UV resin. As far as the smoother the surface, the more transparent the product is.
Here’s an example, this is an epoxy resin product. Photo 1. The product with a matte surface (mold has a rough surface). Photo 2. After polishing, the flower is very clearly visible in the resin.
Also, during sculpting, we should roll out and compact the clay very well, so the products will turn out more transparent.
Choose a very good transparent varnish for covering. Poor-quality varnish can become muddy, and the product will not look transparent enough because of this. Always use good quality varnish or epoxy.
4. Is it possible transparent polymer clay to be as transparent as glass?
Don’t forget that polymer clay is not glass even if it is transparent. It is very transparent in a thin layer and in small objects such as in our berries. But it cannot be absolutely transparent as glass or crystal. For the reason that when we stir the clay, microscopic air bubbles get into it. And in a thick layer, our clay transmits light very well, but you will not see an object from the opposite side. As, for example, through a glass cup even with very thick walls, or a thick glass bottle. Since the glass is pouring and therefore has a homogeneous structure. Likewise, epoxy resin is also poured, so they are optically transparent. The polymer clay is mixed. Don’t expect thick and large items to resemble transparent polished glass. The clay will look like frosted glass. This concerns not only the clay made according to this recipe, but also any transparent clay of any manufacturer with a completely different composition, since this feature directly relates to the laws of physics!
At the same time, transparent polymer clay perfectly transmits the light, therefore it is suitable not only for sculpting berries, but for making designer lamps.
If you still have any questions, write them in the comments under this post, the author will always answer them.